Golfer’s elbow and tennis elbow are both common overuse injuries that affect the tendons and muscles of the forearm. Despite their names, they can occur in individuals who do not play golf or tennis. Repetitive gripping, flexing, and swinging motions of the wrist and fingers can lead to these conditions and it’s not limited to golfers. It can occur in various activities involving these movements, such as weightlifting, typing, or using tools.
Symptoms of Golfers/Tennis Elbow
The most common symptom of a golfer’s elbow is pain on the inner side of the elbow, near the medial epicondyle (the bony bump on the inner side of the elbow). You may experience weakness in your grip strength and difficulty holding or grasping objects, particularly with the affected hand. Some individuals with golfers’ elbow may experience stiffness in the elbow joint, which can limit the range of motion.
The primary symptom of tennis elbow is pain on the outer side of the elbow, near the lateral epicondyle (the bony bump on the outer side of the elbow). The pain may radiate down the forearm. The pain typically worsens with activities that involve gripping, such as shaking hands, lifting, or using tools like a screwdriver or racket. It may also be aggravated by wrist extension (bending the wrist backward).
Chiropractic Care for Golfers/Tennis Elbow
Although the prognosis differs from patient to patient, chiropractic care can be a valuable complement to the treatment and management of conditions like golfers or tennis elbow, also known as medial epicondylitis and lateral epicondylitis, respectively. Here are some ways chiropractic treatment can help with golfer’s and tennis elbow:
- Assessment and Diagnosis: Chiropractors can assess your condition to confirm whether you have golfers or tennis elbow. They will perform a thorough evaluation, which may include physical examinations and other tests to rule out other potential causes of your symptoms.
- Joint Mobilization and Manipulation: Chiropractors are trained in joint manipulation techniques, which can be applied to the elbow and surrounding joints if necessary. Adjustments may help improve joint function, reduce pain, and enhance range of motion.
- Soft Tissue Techniques: Chiropractors often use soft tissue techniques like myofascial release, trigger point therapy, and deep tissue massage to alleviate muscle tension and reduce inflammation in the affected area. These techniques can help relieve pain and promote healing.
- Ergonomic and Lifestyle Advice: Chiropractors can guide proper ergonomics, both in your sports activities and in your everyday life. They may suggest changes to your golf or tennis technique, equipment modifications, and lifestyle adjustments to prevent future episodes of elbow pain.
- Nutritional and Lifestyle Support: Chiropractors often emphasize the importance of nutrition and overall health in the healing process. They may recommend dietary changes, nutritional supplements, and lifestyle modifications to support your body’s natural healing processes.
- Therapeutic Exercises: Chiropractors may recommend specific exercises and stretches to improve the strength and flexibility of the forearm, wrist, and elbow. Strengthening the muscles in these areas can help stabilize the joint and reduce the risk of future injuries.
Why Chiropractic Care?
At Flex Spine and Sport, we aim to improve the health of the tendons and include rehabilitation exercises to speed up recovery. We aim to provide relief from symptoms by addressing the issue at its root. We will provide advanced chiropractic adjustments to restore function back in your elbow by aligning the elbow joints.
More importantly, we will help you achieve optimal ergonomics to avoid the chance of an injury in the future – both in your sports activities and in your everyday life – and help you achieve maximum performance. By learning your needs, we can devise an individualized treatment plan that caters to your goals in the field and health.
Best Chiropractic Care in Jupiter, Florida
If you or a loved one are experiencing symptoms of golfers/tennis elbow, swing by Flex Spine and Sport. Our expert chiropractors specialize in athlete care, auto accident cases, family care, prenatal care, injury rehabilitation, lifestyle changes, and much more. If you’d like to book an appointment or learn more about chiropractic care for golfers/tennis elbow, give us a call today!